Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Initial Packing

I have started my packing event. Yes, it is indeed an event as there are so many specifics. A few weeks ago we received new information about how to pack. Originally I had been searching the web for Peace Corps packing lists and I have a HUGE LL Bean roller duffle that is made for a 2 year jouney! So mentally I had my packing all planned out.

With this new information however I had to revamp a few things...well a lot of things. We actually need three bags. The three bags will be going to three different locations therefore each bag needs to have all the essentials to live. Don't forget there are weight and size limits also. We can't exceed 107 inches for checked bags and the limit for our carry on is 40 inches total.

The three bags we are allowed are our four day bag which needs to be the bag we carry on the plane. We will be spending four days in Ecuador (the 17th-20th) but actually I need a pack a bag that will take me to Miami on the 15th and last me through the 20th. There are specific items we need for this bag that are listed in our staging materials. 

The second bag is our three month bag. This is what we will have while living with our host family's and what we will be living out of during PST (Pre Service Training). We are sending this bag to Cayambe.

The third and final bag is our two year bag which would have everything else we need. This bag is being sent to Quito.

At first I was thinking the 2 year bag would be the biggest, but really the bag with the most essentials will be the 3 month bag. Whatever I need to live for 3 months I can use for the next 2 years. So really I think my 2 year bag will just have bulk supplies that are hard to come by in Ecuador. 

Also, since I'm traveling to Los Angeles I am going to pick out clothes to wear for the next 10 days so that what I wear in STL and LA won't be items that I also need to have packed. That way I don't have to unpack any items for my Peace Corps trip. 

My bags are all scrambled. The backpack I bought that I was going to use for my 4 day really is actually quite large so I think it will be my three month. I will use my small roller duffle for the four day (that's really seven days) and maybe this suitcase I have for the 2 year..not sure. But Big Red my favorite huge roller duffle I don't think makes the cut! 

I'm going to try to practice attaching pictures with the digital camera my dad gave me...maybe next post.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails