Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Where Are the Hardships?

Where Are The Hardships? Is a heading out of the book "A Few Minor Adjustments" that the Peace Corps requires us to read before PST to better prepare us for the instruction we will be given during PST. 

  The Hardships chapter made me laugh because I do think a lot of people joining the Peace Corps have the same notion of living in a tree house, reading by candle light, no hot water and no flushing toilet. Not only do we expect that we kinda want that to feel as though we are making a REAL contribution. I was thinking there was a positive correlation between physical/personal suffering and impact of the contribution being made to my assigned country.  
  I enjoyed the chapter for a few reasons...
a) because I SO thought that and I didn't even realize it
b) it's a common misconception (the book refers to it as the mythology of the Peace Corps) 
c) I'm SO over that idea!

  I was on that awhile back, but now if I have a choice (and I hear that sometimes you do) give me hot water a flushing toilet and working electricity. Being away from family and friends and not speaking the language is enough. If I can wash my hair with ease and comfort my life may be that much more facil ;o)

1 comment:

Dionne said...

That's what makes you so awesome...you adapt easily and always come out on top. You're blessed to have such a great familia and I can't wait to read more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails