Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Monday, July 6, 2009

Mascarilla

I try to keep the events I do updated, but by the time I get to the internet cafe, the stuff is just old news. I'm trying to remember last weekend.... We took our first cultural trip to Mascarilla and I took a day trip con mi familia....

The 45 of us were separated into dos groupos. I cannot remember for the life of me where the other group went (it started with a C) but I know that we went to Mascarilla and I was sooo excited when my Facilitator told us about it. There are so many cultures in Ecuador it is actually more diverse than I thought it would be. The majority of the people who live in Mascarilla are Afro-Ecudorians and happens to be the home of one of our Staff members. Mascarilla was a great change of pace for our group is was really warm..well down right hot actually which we have not experienced since being here. When I got off the bus I was looking at people that looked just like me, it was pretty interesting. This lady was telling me that the moniker "Afro-Ecudarians" just like saying African- Americans. People came to talk and share with us their culture Afro Ecuadorians face the same kind of challenges and discrimination as African Americans. I definitely felt a close bond with the people there. Actually, I think everyone did no matter what race. The people there received us with open arms and showed us a great time.

The first day we learned how to make mud/clay masks which is part of their tradition. Hence the name of the town Mascarilla. They have these beautiful unique masks you can only get there. They would make a great gift for someone, I just have to figure out how to ship things without them breaking. We them met with our host families. Well sort of. A lot of us report the same thing. A nice woman and maybe a child came and picked us up, showed us our room and went about their business. I never saw our lady again. My room was up a super scary staircase that you could lose your life on at any minute. The door, while rickety enough to rip off of the hinges...was impossible to lock and unlock...it was nuts. There were five of us staying in a room with three beds. That's it. Just beds, and walls. That's all we needed. We had a blast...and clearly had some bonding time as well. We had no running water, and DEF not a bathroom. All I know is my wet wipes were a big hit with the group. For all you roughing it travelers...bring your wipes they will save your life!

We excitedly changed into shorts and flip flops only to go on a two hour trek into the deep forests of Mascarilla...while beautiful are full of prickly pears and flesh feasting bugs... we are still wishing we had stayed in jeans...but who knew? We had nature talks about then natural medicines found in the forests, we hiked through bamboo...it was pretty cool and hung out at the river. Beautiful scenery, but WHOOO those bugs! Anytime we had down time we just hung out with the local people.

If you wanna have kids have them in Mascarilla. Every child was ADORABLE I don't understand it...the cutest kids you have ever seen and so much fun. People were playing soccer in the streets, the guys were having piggy back ride races, we were dancing in the street (favorite!), we had a really great time. Some of us played futbol with the local teams. There was girl team, man they were good, we had a good time and I actually scored one of the two goals we got, so that was cool. I wish wish wish I had busted out my camera to catch all the sights. A lot of people took pics so I hope they come up on Facebook. When I get my hands on some I will try to include them somehow... I have not figured out my camera sitch.

The next day were more talks about music and culture. It was all sooo interesting and I actually got really frustrated because the topics were music, dance, race relations and culture. Topics I am really interested in and I wanted to hear every word and it's SO frustrating. I can get the gist on a good day, but that day I was scratching bug bites and baking in that intense sun (I have never been under a sun like that!!!) so a lot was lost on me. I was sad about it but it is what it is. I will be be back Mascarilla!!

Oh I didn't even mention the party they had for us! the Bomba is a dance they do where a woman dances with a bottle on her head. Not just dances, does on legged push ups, limbos whatever! We were all dancing around adults, kids, trainees, facilitators...everyone it was pure magic. I loved it. It was definitely a ...This is why I'm here moment.

I know they have one volunteer that lives there at the moment. I'm not sure what program. Either way I would definitely not be mad if I got placed there. I know I know one thing at a time, let's just get me sworn in first right!?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like so much fun Jenny

Rachel said...

you should have asked which one of the natural medicines healed bug bites and pricks! And, can you use or get a digital recorder to capture the talks and listen to them later? Is there one on your phone or something?

Unknown said...

Sounds like you could use a combination of bug repellent and sun screen, you should wear a sun screen if possible.

Candi Glenn said...

Jen, next time you see a huge bug snap a picture. I know when I moved to FL I saw bugs I have never ever seen before. And I can only imagine what they must look like there!!!! Gigantic!

Sunshine Builder Freedom Dancer said...

Yay I´m trying to respond to comments because I Love them so much! LOL We all had on the bug spray that was in our med kits and we ALL had some nasty bites. I think it happened when we went into the lake. I am wearing sunscreen a veces even though I should be better about it. My phone barely can send text messages so no digital recorders or cameras on my phone. No ugly bugs yet...it´s cold here and they don´t want none (smile)

Related Posts with Thumbnails