Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Monday, July 20, 2009

Chacos and Tevas and Crocs OH MY!

The Topic Today Shoes.

Shoes something you don't think about. You put 'em on everyday, maybe hope they match and keep it movin. However, for us almost thirty's shoes are signifying the apparent change in our lives. For example, on of my BFFs and I are having major shoe woe's. Nik who is going into nursing school has been served up a healthy heaping helping of WHITE, yes white Crocs... Yeeps yes, this fashionista that wears a size 9 says that her shoes weigh approx 20lbs and she could set sail on a voyage across the Earth because those boats are not playin lol. However they are super comfy...and for her job..those are the shoes she needs. Stilettos or Crocs...that's tough one. Ugh, I too had to make the executive decision to not even PACK heels... None of my heels made the final cut. Instead I spent more on my sensible steppers than I do on shoes I actually like. Who has heard of Chacos? They are super beefy, super supportive, super expensive sandals. I had to get a pair because apparently my gold and silver flip flops from downtown LA ($5 bucks I think) just aren't going to make it in the jungles of Ecuador :( Fine. I DID however cheat where Nik couldn't. That super thick rubber round toe jam on the front I just couldn't do. I opted for the opened toed Chacos, and I got the most fashion foward pair I could find lol...sigh, I still haven't worn them. I am already rocking Peace Corps chick every day (khaki's, short sleeved shirts with long sleeves underneath or worse a frumpy button down ugh...). I even had to bust out my silver flats (oh yeah, they made the trip)...just cause I had to break the mold for a second. First step sensible shoes...what's next!?

What does this change really mean? Are we maturing? Growing up? Is this what it's about? Just a month ago I was on my mama's futon watching marathons of Who's Wedding Is It Anyway and Clean House, now I'm studying Spanish around the clock. I never have ME time anymore, but I will be proficient in Spanish most likely in three months. That's a pretty great trade off right? I'm mad busy around the clock, I live under someone else's roof and can't even come and go as I please, but at the same time I am actually feeling like I'm walking in the right direction. So while I am strongly discouraged to go to the park on the weekend and mi madre will come looking for me if I'm not home by 7:30 PM (trust and believe!) I feel as though I'm walking on the right path and I'm right on time (even mi madre doesn't think so tee hee). Same with Nik and nursing. Her shoes are the.worst. but clearly when she is finished with her program she will have job security in any economy, will have achieved yet another hurdle on her Life To Do List and will be helping others and THAT never goes out of style. I think that feeling of validation and achievement, while not always so glamourous, is worth hanging up our heels and all metalic footwear for awhile.

5 comments:

waddies said...

oh man! i can't believe the silver shoes made it to equador! I'm hoping they're not the ones i think that they are -
you know what i'm talking about. :P

glad to hear that you're on the straight and narrow out there!

besos
-Chad

Sunshine Builder Freedom Dancer said...

They are the new version...even though I should have brought the ones that have clearly been to you know where and back. I have you to thank for the ¨back¨ part of the journey¨ :) Besos

Nik said...

LOL!! I love the analogies here...A trade off that I am ELATED to do; my gold platform 4 inch heel Maddens for the white tug boats (too funny since that’s what my mom use to call my shoes one my feet outgrew hers when I was in the 3rd grade - HA!!). But when I am working with patients, and they tell me 'thank you for helping me' or even when they cuss me but they are alive and alert enough to do so...it is ALL WORTH IT!! Heck, I just may do the fanny pack too :p So rock your Chacos with purpose Jenny!!!

Candi Glenn said...

Love this, poetically written, and I feel connected to both of you even more with this entry alone. Dang, silver flats...no play? LOL, prob a good thing tho, wouldn't want to pierce them with an Ecuadorian tree branch trying to look fresh on escapade thru the city!

tere said...

jennifer,
oh my god i love you, it is scary how much we have in common. first of all, i friggen LOVE polka dots and my PC blog has the same background. more importantly, that you would but this much thought into shoes and how changing your shoes is changing your life... i bought chacos for PC because i understood that to be in PC you just HAD to HAVE them. and i wore them about 5 times total because they are just not me.

the "me" in ecaudor turned into someone who wears flip flops everyday (yikes!). partly because i want to show off my ecua-pedicure and the pretty flowers, also because its hot here in guayaquil and sweaty feet are not pretty on anyone...

but, i TOTALLY had a breakdown-identity-crisis (yes, there were tears) in my moms basement when i went home to visit after a year in ecaudor. i found this pair of electric blue pointy toe flats that i used to LOVE, and i was like, "who was i?!?! and who have i become??" my brother, on the other hand, totally did not understand and was like, "um, why are you crying about shoes??"

but you, jennifer, you get it. the shoes make the woman.

una mujer de lucha igual como tu,
tere
(and i WISH i brought my silver ballet flats to ecaudor...man i miss those babies!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails