Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Monday, September 14, 2009

Little Chocolate Monkey

I was going to have a fun witty little top 10 ten list...you know you're learning Spanish when....

but after a brutally hard couple of days (writing this a few days in...) here in Guayaquil the only thing I know is that I am NOT learning Spanish at the rapid speed I need to....or maybe I am, but it's not fast enough. I not only need to know my stuff...I need to know it muy rapido (super fast) and without the letter "s" since people on the coast talk way fast and drop the "s" at the end of every word.... They call that talking like a monkey or como un mono...

This reminds me of a story that happened during my days in Cayambe...

I found out that fun tidbit of information (about the the letter s and the fast talking) when my fam in Cayambe said when I come back from the coast I'll be a mona (female monkey) I was like UM WHAT!? I explained to them that calling a person of  African descent a monkey is really grounds for a drag down fight. But after a lot of back and forth they assured me that it simply they way the dialect in the Coastal area is referred to. They made fun of how they themselves talked too...so I felt un poco better.

Also, add to the fact that mi madre started calling mi Chocolatita which again is love...I refer to myself as chocolate too...but during the conversation we got into some Chocolatita Mona....Now you can call me chocolate cause after all I am :) and if mono is how they talk on the coast then fine...but I'm not going to be able to hang with being called little chocolate monkey...

That was quickly taken off the table and everything is everything once again between me and Mama Ana....whew...

4 comments:

Candi Glenn said...

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa "chocolate monkey" priceless

Ms Edie said...

What a hoot. Knock down drag out fight you call my rose pedal a chocolate monkey or a monkey. Say What?

Rachel P. said...

This is the funniest story ever! LLLLOOOOOLLLLLL

Nik said...

Wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails