Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New Project, New Outlook

Today was an interesting day. I thought I was going to the Aldea to attend a meeting with a new group we were going to be working with, however, as things go here in Ecuador or just Peace Corps in general, the thing you thought you were doing that day turns out to be something completely different.

I show up at 3:00 as instructed the day before by my counterpart/director Raul. When I arrive everyone is dressed to impress and leaving the Aldea. I go to the office to inquire about Raul and the meeting we have. Turns out Raul has left for a trip until next week and they have no clue what I'm talking about. They tell me to go on the field trip with the rest of the kids instead. So I go...

Turns out the "field trip" is the "meeting" I was supposed to attend all along, but the surprise continue...

We take a bus to Tonsupa and arrive at a place called Via Via. Turns out Via Via is a hostel that has does social projects as well! Via Via is partnering with La Aldea to do projects with the kids of the Aldea ages 7 to 17! As the head guy was explaining the project he kept saying my name! He kept calling on me to do different tasks and follow ups. I was fine with it but I was just surprised that he knew who I was and what my role with the Aldea was. Always surprised here.

It was just what I was hoping and praying for. I wanted to be more involved with the youth in a more sophisticated way now that I got my extension, but I was feeling stretched thin and short or resources. Now I have a facilitators to work with, I'll be with the kids I've built a rapport with and it's a long term project so we are going to be able to set goals and realize them...which is my most favorite thing to do!

I'll be working late though, 7 pm, and from my Guayaquil training I know better than to be out after dark...but the last group is the jovenes (teens) and I want to work with them the most, granted, they can be the most challenging sometimes. I am also responsible for getting them home safely which if it's going to be challenging if every night is like tonight. The girls were begin fast, talking to the men in the streets who were whistling at them, the boys were all over the place grabbing the girls or running away to the beach, sigh....

I really am happy, nervous, excited, hopeful and optimistic about this next chapter....I'll keep everyone in the loop!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails