Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Honeymoon Is Ova!

So we are at 6 months in site. Finally. It seems like we’ve been talking about 6 months for.ev.er. I think part of that has to do with that our 6 month anniversary in Ecuador was in December. However, we got to our sites in August so that started the count down over again. So in talking to the folks in my Omnibus we are all feeling kinda tired, overwhelemed, a little on the burning to burned out side and just a little blue. We all thought that at 6 months that when we were all gung ho and ready to GO go GOOO!!!! Thinking that we were feeling the exact opposite of how we should be feeling only made us feel worse.

It wasn’t until I talked to a wonderful and wise PCV who is at the end of her service that was like…”Oh no, your not supposed to be excited…The Honeymoon is Over!” Wait, what? She explained that it is about this time that the PCV realizes that they are not at camp, that this isn’t a summer abroad or some conveniently shorter Peace Corps alternative program. This is the Peace Corps and you are going to be here for 27 months. This isn’t a project, this is your LIFE. It’s that reality check that has hit all of us, I think, and worn us out! I won’t speak for everyone, but I know there are a good number of us.

I felt relieved to hear this news personally. I didn’t feel so crazy anymore for feeling worn out. It all made sense now! When I wake up in my apartment (that I love!) I would look around as if to say “yep still here” and then getting dressed slowly like “off to the barrio…again…like everyday…” usually by the time I was in the barrio with ladies I’d be energized again, but day after day I would have that morning drag. I didn’t get it I love my apartment why the negative feeling…I love the work I’m doing why not be flying out of the door to go everyday? Now I get it. It’s the realization that I’m HERE for real. I’m not going anywhere. So if I want to work 6 days a week…go head…but this is my life….not a short term project. If I think…in my life …I would like to whisk away to the beach every now and then… I need to go ‘head and write that into the program…cause we’s gonna be here for awhile.

It gave me perspective and I think I have exhaled. Like today, took the day off to catch up on emails and blogs and get over this lingering cold I have had that isn’t going to go away until I sit still. So poco a poco I’m getting the memo. So I guess now the real work begins!? Lol Dios Mio what have I BEEN doing?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep at it!

Anonymous said...

this is your best entry yet.
"this inst a project, this is your LIFE." that is EXACTLY how it is, how it feels, what the realization sounds like in the head of a PCV who is hitting 6 months. you spent probably a year before getting to ecuador thinking about little else than joining PC, taking this next step, changing your life. so now its changed, and now its just that: your life. period.

everything you are feeling is exactly what you should be feeling.

you are amazing.

peace,
tere

Deanna said...

Amen sister, amen.

Come stay a weekend in the sierra - cook some good food, play some Scrabble, hike a little and eat some chocolate :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails