Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Apartment Search

Okay every month usually has a light at the end of the tunnel and a challenge or project to work on at the same time. Well as always I have a ton of stuff going on with the Mujeres, but I actually have a personal project that must be completed by the end of November. That project ladies and gentlemen is the great apartment search. To your weary eyes delight, I haven't written about this sooner so you are spared hearing about various days I went out in the smoldering heat, walking around tirelessly, looking for alquilar signs only to have miss after miss after miss. Oh what the heck...here's a quick look of what it's like...

When you are walking around looking up at buildings to see if they have a sign in the window, it makes you look lost. If you are a gringa and you look lost then you get attention making the daunting task even more annoying blah. (attention usually in the form of hombres wanting some of YOUR attention double blah) Usually you have to check the number on the sign and then call the number even if you are right at the building and could just knock. People want the call. All of us HATE talking on the phone in Spanish because it's just SO difficult. You have no facial cues, can't read lips, no body language and then phones you know all the subtle sounds don't get through and you need every clue you can get. Plus pulling your phone out on the street is never recommended...especially after you were observed seeming lost to those around you observing..eye roll... Welcome to my life people. Simple tasks are now so hard. Hard tasks...those are like impossible and no matter what, you are ALWAYS being watched. If you are female then you are getting the hissy, kissy, yicky calls from the hombres, and on the wrong day that can reeeeeaaaaalalalalallllly get on your last nerve and make you feel like you are going to snap. It's not awesome.

So anyway in general those are how those days went. Then there was the Saturday that i found the most awesome most beautiful furnished apartment with two bedrooms and bathrooms and even a nice duena and everything. We talked aaallll day and I missed worked and missed hanging with my friend and shopping for costumes that day. Only to find out days later... there is water in the floor so I can't move there. The place was worth twice what our limit is, but she was willing to cut it in half for me cause she just wanted a nice person up there and I came based on a recommendation. Sigh...Oh well. I tell myself a) that was the nicest place I've ever seen and if I moved in there I probably would never leave Ecuador b) it would have been the party house for sure without a doubt and I really would have no right to not let it be cause there was sooo much rooooom c) I seem to keep to one or two room and I didn't really need all that space to myself. Did I mention I probably would have neeeever left?

Yeah. So the newer and might I add the very first place I saw and I liked is the one I'm going with. The only reason I even continued a search was because who goes with the first place they see? I was just trying to make sure! Since another Volunteer almost moved in to that apartment it has been pre approved so I THOUGHT I could just move in. Found out this week that is so not the case. It needs new locks on the bedroom door and the outside door. It needs a Metal Door installed!! and I need to cover the hole in the bedroom wall were an AC unit is supposed to go. We PCVs can't afford AC units... Also, I was under the impression that PC pays for these items since they are the ones saying we need it. No and No. We pay for them and if we don't get them, we can't move into the place. Drat! Our PM is coming the last day of November. So that means I have until then to either get these upgrades done or I can't move! If I don't move then when can I move? Whenever the PM can come down again but its annoying for them because they schedule their apartment approval trip in advance so that everyone has their stuff together. If they come and have to come back just for an individual, best believe they are in no hurry to do that. My dueña as sweet as she is, rents a room as a business, so I do'nt think my extra days here would be all that appreciated either.

So needless to say I gotta get that going sooner than later. So picture it. I gotta go tell the ladies that own the place. I need you to install a door, put up something to cover this hole and you need to change the locks BEFORE I move in, before I can sign a contract and before I can pay basically. Who does that!? Then I gotta convey this in SPANISH? Let's be real. Sigh. Also, this building wants 3 months rent as a deposit which Peace Corps doesn't support. I was hoping my PM could help me negotiate that when she comes...but by the time she comes I would have needed to get those upgrades!

So either I just pay for the 3 months, have NO money to actually by a bed, stove and fridge and stuff...but at least have my own place... or....yeah...I'm still working on my options.... our PCVL (3rd year volunteer that helps us little freshman out ;oP) is going to come with me on Friday to see what we can work out...I guess I need to post that this week for this to make any sense :) Cool...

Wish me luck and stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, three month deposit! como LOCA! who ever heard of paying a deposit in ecuador! dont do it girl...i know apartment searching sucks, but i vote for keep looking! especially with all them upgrades you got to do to that place...no me parece que es vale la pena...

paz,
tere

SergtPeppa said...

Craziness! I hope you find a place soon! Mathias can make it happen (or maybe someone from the host fam?)...good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails