Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Taking the Teens Camping!! Thanksgiving with a Twist

So I have jumped right back into work and things have changed a bit. I am going to start work more closely with jovenes (i.e. the teens) . The idea is that they will one day, soon, be leaving the ofanato and they need to be prepared for the real world. THe means doing things outside of the safe walls of the Aldea and learning different skills.

My first task is going to be doozey. It would be in any situation but when you layer it with me having to speak Spanish I look to the heavens and ask "how am I going to pull THIS off?"

For the weekend of Thanksgiving I have been charges with taking the jovenes camping! Now anyone who knows me knows I actually love camping so I am pretty stoked about it but also freaked out. There are going to be between 20-22 teenagers and myself plus another (totally capable) facilitator. We are taking a bus Thursday or friday night (details still up in the air) Traveling to the Campos of Porto Viejo and spending TWO nights in tents. We will be cooking outside and becoming one with nature! These kids are use to CITY living and I just can´t even imagine how they are going to react, but I know it´s going to be dramatic.

Like I said I´m apprehensive but at the same time it´s kinda a dream come true, so I am hoping to take tons of photos and hopefully will have funny stories and hopefully some breakthroughs as well.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails