Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Monday, November 21, 2011

Rewards & Punishments or Enrichment?

In light of us proposing to take the teens into the wilderness to fend for themselves, arguement has erupted.

This isn´t the first time either.

There seems to be a difference in point of view and I´m trying to see where I stand on the issue.

Before, as readers of this blog know, I was taking the kids to what I called "Enrichment" Classes to a place outside of Atacames. I thought it was great for them to get to leave the premises learn new things, like painting, dancing and even capoiera. However, sometimes when I went to get the kids the madres would tell me their kid wasn´t going to be able to come that day because they were punished. Well the counterpart I was working with on the enrichment program got increasingly annoyed with the fact that we were trying to do something creative and therapuetic and yet the kids (who probably needed it most) were being prevented from coming.

Now the second example comes from a meeting we had last week. We were trying to get a final list of who is coming camping and who isn´t. Again, the same arguement came up. Some of the moms and even office staff feel that some of the teens can´t attend because they are acting up at the Aldea or in school or some aren´t even going to class. The thought is if they are misbehaving in the Aldea they shouldn´t get "rewarded" with being able to go on the trip and instead they should be "punished" for their behavior and not allowed to go. That´ll teach them a lesson!

Others argue that those misbehaving are the ones in need of leaving getting out and doing something different. They are teens let´s not forget. A time in ones life when no one understands you and you have a LOT going on internally. This camping trip is not meant to be a 5 star reward experience, it´s supposed to be a team buildling and learning experience.

However, those against it do bring up a good point, that how are the kids going to not go to school and do what they want when they want and then get an all expense paid trip to spend the weekend away. Do we really want to "reward" that behavior? Or is it really an reward?

I am pretty sure I am a fan of the "enrichment" experience. I know that the kids that the office and some of the madres point out as the "problem" kids work with me just fine and I know they are the ones who have told me they feel trapped, like they have no freedom etc. You know...teen stuff. I think first of all, if they were not allowed to go they would just act out more and second of all, camping is no walk in the park either! I think maybe there could be some criteria, such as, if you don´t go to school you can´t participate in the jovenes programming. However, as far as talking back and not doing the laundry I think is teen stuff and not grounds for preventing the jovenes from participating in the programs designed specifically for them to get out and expand their horizons.

I´m not youth expert though, that´s why I´m here learning? Those of you who work with kids or are just good with kids, what do you think?

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey JCov!! I think that if the basis of the camping trip is to develop self esteem, team building, leadership, and some reflection on decision-making and life choices, it is definitely important, especially for the jovenes that might be most in need. I don't think that taking away rewards changes behavior (negative reinforcement). I'm all about positive reinforcement and finding out what is causing the poor, misguided behavior!

Glad you are doing great!!! ¡Te extraño!

Sunshine Builder Freedom Dancer said...

Te extraño tambien! How are you? I totally agree with you. You know how it is here...sometimes I get confused with so many (some times crazy) notions that are thrown around. I'm with you all the way...positive reinforcement is the way to go. The trip went great by the way..need to blog about it ya mismo...and then catch up on your blog!! Besos!! xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails