Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Todavia, no hablas Español?

Bueno, as of late people have been correcting my Spanish. My neighbor the fisherman, the Belgian guy I work with, My French friend, My host lady, The Artist we work with at Via Via., pretty much anyone I encounter they give me a little help as I am trying to communicate and express myself. This wasn’t happening 2 months ago, and I wouldn’t know what to make of it if I hadn’t had a conversation pertaining to this exact phenomenon months earlier. According to my friend the same thing happened to her at her site. The theory goes as follows: as your Spanish improves people will start correcting you because you are only off by one word, or one tense and it’s easy to correct. At first, you’re all over the place and people are just trying to understand what you want, need and are trying to say. Now you are saying sentences that are perfect except for the oooone little thing and therefore they can easily correct you.

Example 1: First week at site you like “I like go to that thing that is down street over there (pointing your finger and drawing a house like structure with your two index fingers” – The person you are communicating is like, “The lightpost? Don Miguel's house?, The tienda? Oh the Tienda Oh you would like to go to the store! Alright lets go *mumbles under breath* That was way harder than it needed to be”

Example 2: Now you can say “I like to go the store” and you start walking away they are like “oh you mean “You would like to go to the store, see the difference? Me gusta and me gustaria…you wanted to say me gustaria” and then off you go not having had to play charades, guessing games and whose line is it anyway.

Maybe those are bad examples but you get what I mean. Anyway you slice it, I a) miss my tutor Lily! B) I need to get in these books and start seriously reading and writing to get take my Spanish to the next level cause I think I’m right there ready to cross ova! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails