Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Monday, November 23, 2009

Break In Case of Emergency Part I - Explanation

Peace Corps, a 27 month commitment. We all knew that when we singed up. True. However with all things, they are never what they seem. Also, when you apply saying, "Hey, I'm ready for something different, bring on the challenge!" Well that's pretty vague and it's just a notion. Oh and on top of that, "I really want to learn a new language!" as if just simply being in an area allows you to painlessly absorb vocabulary, ability to conjugate, comprehend and interpret words, and pick up on cultural subtleties. Bueno, needless to say there are some Challenges with a capital "C". I definitely was looking for a change of pace, wanting to partake in a different culture, learn a new language and, yes, be challenged :)

Well, there is technique that all of us PCVs have in common that we inevitably use from time to time and that is: when the going gets tough, the tough gets COUTING lol. Whether it's counting down the days to when a friend or family member is going to visit, counting down the days when you planned your next trip...which could be waiting at just at the other end of the week or the ubiquitous counting down your two years. I know I feel so SHAME even saying IT! But it happens everywhere, every volunteer everywhere does this countdown at some point.

Don't get me wrong, it's not about being eager to leave. Just when you think you can't take no mo' sometimes it puts things into perspective. So I made myself a Break In Case Of Emergency List...when I feel like the days are dragging on and I'm making no progress and I can't take not another DAY!! Wanna see it!?

First of all, I must have made it in September (after getting robbed...def a "how much longer am here?" moment lol) but now it's the middle of November and I can hardly keep up with time as it whizzes by!! I am VERY aware how short 2 years really is and I think that is why I CONTINUE to work 6 DAYS a week!! I can't stop myself. I so badly want to integrate, make a difference and soak up every second of my experience that I never stop go, go, GOING! I know this is going to be over before I know it and that's what I'm thinking most of the time. This is just for the days when someone has pulled your last card and you are "so over it!"

Every PCV knows to just have something to look forward to every month (sometimes ever week when it gets really tough) helps pass the challenging times. The old Light at The End of the Tunnel trick :) I'll break down what my months look like, but in an upcoming post so that it's not soooo long :)

1 comment:

SergtPeppa said...

The Light at the End of the Tunnel ain't no trick. It's the truth! I'm pretty sure I was counting something up until I left my site...(and now I'm kind of counting 'til I can go back. Go figure)

Related Posts with Thumbnails