Our deepest fear isn't that we're inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we're powerful beyond measure

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Contemplating Peace Corps

Joining the Peace Corps is something I have always have wanted to do. When is the right time in one's life to take out two years, away from friends and family and the life as you know it? Well looking back, I think right after college, but that is no longer an option. I was in a different space then anyway. Now, would be the next "good" time. Now being, I have been in the working world since 2004 and had a new job pretty much every year. From corporate (travel heavy), to non-profit travel (heavy travel minimal pay)and now to the CUBE of Corporate America. Box Entertainment (for more on that check out http://theundergrounduniverse.blogspot.com/ The Super Sleuth Web Blomic Coming Soon!)

I have projects I'm passionate about right now. Mainly my non-profit Project Destiny Which "Promotes Self-Love, Confidence, Empowerment & Sisterhood" amoung adolescent females in the Los Angeles Area. For more information on that check out our site at
(www.myspace.com/projectdestiny07) Right now it is in the grassroots stages. I work on it in my "spare time" when I am not at work or in a dance class (my other passion).

The internal debate right now is... Continue to try to grow Project Destiny into something that I can draw and income from eventually? OR Before I get any kind of career jumped off... take the leap and cross Peace Corps off the list of "Things to Accomplish This Lifetime"?

Well, as I figure things out I figure I do have a bit of time. To apply to Peace Corps... they want you to send in your app...at approx nine months to a year before you plan on leaving on your assigment. There for worst/best case scenario.... I could apply, go through the process...(knowing that anytime I can just stop if I change my mind...even getting an invitiation and not accepting...sentencing myself to never being invited back...but it's an option)... while spending the next year to...hammer down a business plan for project destiny, make a plan for the next 3 to 5 years, maybe even secure some funds through grants...before leaving. That way, anyone can pick up the reigns in my absence...

Yep, I think that's what I'm going to do...
So even though, I could do the Peace Corp too when I'm 60... I'm going to take the plunge now. I have been plugging away at my application probably since at least March '08... I'm just going to complete it and send it on...

Let the adventure begin :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails